I strive to implement an art curriculum that is balanced and in alignment with state and national standards. My curriculum is comprised of the following components:
- Exposure to a wide variety of media, in both the 2 D and 3 D realms
- The study of art history and exposure to a variety of art forms from cultures all over the world
- The elements and principles of art should be imbedded into every lesson.
- Technology should play into nearly every lesson and should be looked upon as another tool in learning and the creation of artwork.
- Interdisciplinary connections make the artwork created more meaningful.
- Students should be taught how to reflect upon and talk about art – including artwork created by their peers; this fosters critical thinking.
- Students should have the opportunity to work collaboratively on group projects.
- Finally, students are always encouraged to reinterpret. I do not encourage cookie cutter artwork. Students are always encouraged to ask — what is my take on this? What can I bring to this and how can I make it my own?